Monday, November 15, 2010

Review: The Curlew Restaurant in Bodiam, East Sussex

I was alerted to The Curlew - not by ravenous foodie locals - but by a national reviewer who said the Jacob's ladder was so good he wanted it framed and put by his bedside. 

I live in Sussex part of the week, London the rest and for the last year or so - The Curlew has been part of my life. For our part of east East Sussex - there isn't the choices one would think there would be. And this for me, and my house guests down from London have become our favourite place - along with our breakfasts at the Woosley and lunch at Sketch Lecture room - this little place is up there with the best. 

Yesterday, after pike fishing at Darwell Reservoir and mushroom foraging - we decided as the almost cinematic downpours chased us off the lake early to take refuge at the Curlew...So we called, and by chance, they could squeeze us in. They always try to do their best - which alot of places won't.

They bring fresh bread right to the table - and this time with chef Neil's own made raisins - kind of nuts with drippings - but it works. Its the only place I'd guess in the world tonight you'd get homemade fruit bread [dripping] with herb infused dripping?  note: Neil's also just done a stint at Noma in Copenhagen which apparently was nuts. Let him tell you about it. 

But as Noma is now considered the world's no. 1 restaurant, so it shows their ambition. Its also worth noting that the Curlew's executive chef 
Graham Garrett
is the resident of the nearby Michelin starred West house was recently featured as one of Britain's best restaurants and is definitely worth a visit [if you can get a table as its booked up months in advance.] 

So today - we stuck with our favourites - The heavenly cheese souffle - shared between me and Sophie and then I had the Jacob's ladder - pictured - and Sophie had the Romney marsh lamb - 3 ways. I cannot say how good this was but I took out my calculator and in 15,542 days of living i think i can say I haven't had a better bit of meat than this one...

The Yorkshire pudding out of this world and just the perfect thing for a rainy Sussex day. I can't say how gorgeous the Jacob's ladder is and really it is one of the finest things I've had this or any year... [at supper we calculated perhaps the best tasting piece of meat in 15,452 days]  

I always love coming "home" to the Curlew and i can't recommend this place enough. 

Follow them on Twitter here

note: this is a slightly expanded review originally written for the site 
www.TripAdvisor.co.uk

Posted via email from disastronaut's posterous

No comments:

NEW MUSIC AUDIO SUSHI https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5FrYdVjiuXS1CggU6nUQub

  new music  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5FrYdVjiuXS1CggU6nUQub